|Siblings||Abram, Nahor, Haran|
Sarai ♀ also known as Sarah
Sarai was barren and had no children. She followed Terah, Abram and Lot from Ur of the Chaldeans to Canaan. They settled in Haran. She then went with Abram and Lot to Canaan, Moreh at Shechem, Bethel, somewhere in the middle of Bethel and Ai, Negev and Egypt in that order.
In Egypt, Abram told her to say she was his sister and not his wife. So she was taken to the Pharaoh after his officials saw her. But the Lord brought disaster over the Paraoh's house because of Sarai, so the Pharao drove Abram and his people out of the country.
Because Sarai was barren, she gave her maidservant Hagai as a wife to Abram. But when Abram was 99 years old (and Sarai about 90 years old, see Genesis 17:17), God promised him that Sarai was to have a son, called Isaac. This was also the occasion where Sarai got her new name Sarah.
The same year or maybe one year later, when Abraham was 100, three men came to visit Abraham and Sarah. Abraham and Sarah served them with food. The men said again, that in one year's time, Sarah was to have a child. She did not believe this because of her age and laughed at it.
But finally, when Abraham was already 100 years old, Sarah bore him Isaac.
- Genesis 11:29-31 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 12:5,11-20 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 16:1-9 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 17:15-21 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 18:9-15 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 20 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 21:1-13 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 23:1-3,19 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 24:36,67 (NIV, Elberfelder)