|Siblings||Nahor, Haran, Sarai|
|Spouses||Sarai, Hagar, Keturah|
|Children||Ishmael, Isaac, Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak, Shuah|
Abraham ♂ (father of many ) also known as Abram (exalted father )
Then the Lord told him to go out from his father's household to a land that He would show him. The Lord promised Abram to make him into a great nation. So when he was 75 years old (year 2021), he took Sarai, Lot, his possession and all the people they had acquired in Haran with him and went to the land of Canaan. He traveled through the land to Moreh at Shechem. There, the Lord appeared to Abram and told him that He would give this land to Abram's offspring. At this time, the Canaanites were living there. After this promise, Abram built an altar there for the Lord.
He then continiued to Bethel and pitched his tent between Bethel and Ai. Again, Abram built an altar. Then he went to Negev.
Because there was a famine in the land, they traveled to Egypt. There they told the Egypts, that Sarai was his sifter and not his wife. Sarai was then taken to the Pharaoh. Abram became even more rich in Egypt, because he was treated well by the Pharaoh for Sarai's sake. But the Lord brought disaster over the Pharao's house because of Sarai and so they were all sent out of Egypt again.
From Egypt they went to the Negev and then again to Bethel to the place between Bethel and Ai, where he had been before. Both Abram and Lot were very rich. Too rich in fact for the land to support them both. Because of this, a quarelling arose between Abram's and Lot's herdsmen. So they decided to separate and Abram lived in the land of Canaan. He then moved to live near the great trees of Mamre at Hebron. There he built another altar to the Lord.
According to Genesis 16:3 and 16:16, he arrived in Canaan when he was about 76 years old.
After the king Kedorlaomer had carried Lot away, Abram set out for battle together with Mamre, Eshcol and Aner. The Lord delivered Kedorlaomer and his allies in Abram's hands, though they had to pursue them to Dan and Hobah north of Damascus. Additionally to Lot's possessions, women and all the other people, Abram also fought back the goods of Bera, the king of Sodom. Abram did not accept any of Bera's goods, because he did not want Bera to say that he made Abram rich.
After he had returned from the battle, Abram was blessed by Melchizedek. Abram then gave him a tenth of everything.
Promise of Offspring
Abram feared that he would not have any children and that his estate would go to Eliezer. But God then promised that Abram's descendants will be numerous like the stars. He further said, that Abram would go to his father's place and be buried there, but that the fourth generation would come back into the land of the Amorites.
Hagar and Ishmael
When Abram was 99 years old, God established a covenant with him. The content of the covenant was:
- Abram was now called Abraham, Sarai changed her name to Sarah
- Sarah will bear Abraham a son, called Isaac
- Abraham was to circumcise all the males in his household
Sodom and Gomorrah
Also when he was 99 or maybe one year later, when he was 100, three men came to visit Abraham and Sarah. Abraham and Sarah served them with food. The men said again, that in one year's time, Sarah was to have a child. She did not believe this.
When the tree men went on, the Lord told Abraham, that he was about to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham then pledged the Lord not destroy the city if 10 righteous men could be found.
Abraham then moved on into the region of the Negev and lived between Kadesh and Shur. For a while he lived in Gerar. He told the people, that Sarah was his sister so she was taken by Abimelech, the king of Gerar. But Abimelech returned her to Abraham after God had told him, that Sarah was Abraham's wife. Additionally, Abimelech provided Abraham with goods and allowed him to live in his land.
Later Abimelech and Abraham made a treaty in Beersheba where they agreed, that Abraham had dug this well. Abraham then planted a tamarisk tree there. He continiued to live in the land of the Philistines for a long time.
After a while, God asked Abraham to take his son Isaac and go to the region of Moriah. There he was to sacrifice Isaac. So Abraham went to Moriah. He left his servants behind and went alone with Isaac. When he was just about to kill his son, the angel of the Lord stopped him. God then provided a ram which Abraham then sacrificed. Because of Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his own son, God told him that he would make Abraham's descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky.
Abraham took another wife, whose name was Keturah. She bore him a few more sons.
He left everything he owned to Isaac but during his live he gave gifts to the sons of his concubines. He also sent them away from Isaac to the land of the east.
Abraham died with 175 years. He was buried with his wife Sarah.
- 1876: * Terah
- 1946: Birth
- 1946-2021: Preparation
- 1946: * Haran
- 1946: * Nahor
- 1956: * Sarai
- 2021-2044: Traveling
- 2021-2022: Travel to Canaan
- 2032: * Ishmael
- 2044-2121: Abraham
- 2045: Covenant with God, name changed to Abraham
- 2045: Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah
- 2046: * Isaac
- 2081: † Haran
- 2081: † Terah
- 2083: † Sarai
- 2121: Death
- 2169: † Ishmael
- 2226: † Isaac
- Genesis 11:26,29-31 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 12 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 13 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 14:13-24 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 15 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 16:1-6,15-16 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 17 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 18 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 19:27-29 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 20 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 21:2-14,22-34 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 22:1-20 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 23 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 24:1-9,12,15,27,34-42,44,48-49,51-52,54,56,59,66 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 25:1-12,19 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 26:1,3,5,15,18,24 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Genesis 28:4,9,13 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Exodus 2:24 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Exodus 3:6,15,16 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Exodus 6:3,8 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Exodus 32:13 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Exodus 33:1 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Leviticus 26:42 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Numbers 32:11 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Deuteronomy 1:8 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Deuteronomy 6:10 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Deuteronomy 9:5,27 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Deuteronomy 29:13 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Deuteronomy 30:20 (NIV, Elberfelder)
- Deuteronomy 34:4 (NIV, Elberfelder)